Here are some tips for backing up important data:
- Put together a system that you can use across all of your systems and is easy for you to manage.
- Run the backup process manually and test the backup to make sure it works.
- Check your backup after it runs automatically for the first time.
- Have your system alert you when a backup fails or there is a problem during backup.
- Check up on your backups regularly. Make sure everything is running as it should.
- Schedule a recurring time to test the backups. It is very easy these days with technologies like virtualization to test backups.